hero-desktop-nogradient (2)

What to Do If You Are in an Out of State Car Accident

March 4, 2021

Automobile insurance is required in every state across the country. However, each state has varying requirements about the type of insurance and minimum amounts a driver needs to have in order to remain legal on the roadway. While the vast majority of accidents involve collisions in the insured’s own state, there are times when people are involved in accidents while in another state. This can be a stressful situation, but the good news is that your insurance will follow you wherever you are driving.

Does Your Insurance Cover out of State Accidents?

Yes, your Arizona insurance will cover you if you get into an accident in another state. In AZ, the minimum auto insurance required is as follows:

  • Bodily injury liability coverage: Minimum $25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
  • Property damage liability coverage: Minimum $15,000

No matter how far you drive from home, your Arizona insurance policy will come with you. Nearly every insurance policy in the US will cover all 50 states as well as other US territories, such as Puerto Rico. In general, most policies also cover travel to Canada and Mexico, though you should always check the specific terms of your policy before driving out of the country.

You will notice that Arizona law does not require drivers to carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. However, it is strongly recommended that drivers obtain this insurance so they are covered in all situations.

How Will the Claim Work in These Situations?

If you are involved in a car accident while out of state, the claim will work the same way that it does for an accident in Arizona. You do not need to worry if the minimum required insurance is higher in the state you are in. So long as you are carrying the legally required insurance in Arizona, you will be covered in an out of state crash. For example, if your AZ policy is 25/50/15, but you get into a crash in Maine where their minimums are 50/100/25, then your policy limits will automatically increase to meet the Maine minimum.

If you are traveling to a state with lower minimums than Arizona’s, your limits will not decrease to meet that state’s minimums. Rather, your insurance will provide the maximum coverage on your policy, even if it is more than the state minimums where you are visiting.

Where To Seek Legal Help

If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident while out of state, you may need to seek assistance from an attorney. Whether you are an AZ resident who got into an accident in another state or are from another state and got into an accident in AZ, you can turn to Torgenson Law for help. Our knowledgeable and experienced car accident lawyers in Phoenix will conduct a complete investigation into your case so we can secure full compensation for your losses. You can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling (602) 726-0747.

Related Pages